Sunday, June 3, 2012

Garden Gleanings

I got a garden plot this year under a new program available at the prison. It cost ten dollars for a 10 x 10 plot.

I went out yesterday and turned over the soil then today I raked and planted. I put in two rows of radishes, one row of carrots, two broccoli plants, a butternut squash, six peppers of various kinds, and seven tomatoes. Later I'll add one sun jewel and one zucchini. Already had two rows of onions.


It's very nice and quiet out there. I noticed some birds chirping, not really singing, but what do you expect for ten dollars? The dirt was warm as I dug into it with my hands; I planted everything that way rather than with a trowel. Yesterday my back ached from the spade work and tomorrow will be worse from all the bending today.

Still, when I watered it all at the end and double checked my stakes, it gave me a peaceful sense of satisfaction to look at it. Then I went and helped my bunkie Puma, who also got a garden. I'll keep you posted. It's definitely a needed balance in the nature area.

2 comments:

  1. We, too, are beginning a garden plot, rather a raised garden in our yard. Gardening itself is good heart medicine, not just emotionally but physically as well. But for me, gardening is also a rootedness in the ground of my being. The food planted is the food eaten, from the earth, from creation, and I was a small part. Not the hard work of 'growing' itself, rather, the work of preparation, of nourishing, and caring. In essence, this is the human experience, the relational aspect of our lives in community: how our "environment," or plot is tilled and cared for others about us has a significant hand in how I grow and bear fruit. Yeah, it gets pretty philosophical, or perhaps soulful. Tend your garden gently and well, Troy. I'll be thinking of you as we tend ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous: Thanks for your comments and good wisdom about gardening plants and people. I just wrote a piece called "If prisons were gardens" You could have written it!

    Nature is one of the four Rs (Relationships) I'm weakest in just by virtue of not having the intimate contact necessary for deep relationship with it. The garden project gives us that contact and I'm extremely grateful for the privilege.

    Besides, tomato sandwiches are a country boy's caviar! I can't wait. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete